Longbridge Connectivity Scheme Award
Fitzgerald Contractors are celebrating the contract award of the Longbridge Connectivity scheme by Birmingham City Council, the £4m scheme includes a number of highway improvement schemes to support economic growth in Longbridge.
The project has six key objectives:
• Unlock jobs by improving access to the Regional Investment Site and overall Longbridge development.
• Reduce congestion, peak journey times and delays through the Longbridge area by improving the roads and increasing junction capacity on Longbridge Lane and at junctions on the A38.
• Improve train journeys and allow for growth in the number of passengers.
• Improve walking and cycling facilities with new way finding signs and new, safer, cycle routes.
• Improve public transport journeys and interchange, with a new public transport hub.
• Improve access to Bournville College and University of Birmingham, with better public transport.
Managing Director Nick Coley confirmed, ‘Having been employed by Birmingham City Council to look at the feasibility of the scheme under an ECI (Early Contractor Involvement) contract we are delighted to have now received the full award for the works. The ECI period has enabled us to review the design and programme and to work collaboratively with Birmingham City Council to ensure we have a robust programme and design moving forward. This will provide great benefits as we move into the delivery stage of the scheme, and we look forward to the completion of what is a key project for the City.’